Meet Mell Bell
It’s been a while since I introduced myself. I’m Mell Bell… yes THE Mell Bell of mellBella Photography. I’m the photographer, artist, creative, designer, ride or die, never gonna give you up, cheerleader, etc. kind of person. My pronouns are she/her.
I’ve been a photographer with Richard Bell Photography since 2005. So I got my start in wedding and family portrait photography with my husband, Nathan, son of Richard Bell. I’m so thankful to be a part of the family business, but something was missing. In 2010, I photographed my first boudoir session, and after that, I knew THIS was the missing piece. So, with a lot of planning, long hours, and hard work, I founded the mellBella Brand with my dear friend. (Naming the company, Richard Bell Boudoir wasn’t going work. Totally not sexy at all!) Over the years, we’ve added pinup, styled, sets, a client closet, and so many things. Every year, I introduce a few new things that help make the mellBella Experience even better. Always thinking and growing!
Because I feel it’s important to have a great relationship with my clients, we should get to know each other a little bit. So here goes…
- One of my favorite local organizations is the YWCA Greater Charleston. Their mission of eliminating racism and empowering women is very important to me.
- I have 2 daughters that are 8 years apart in age. What a BIG surprise indeed!
- I’m awkward and empathetic, but my super power is embracing the awkward and making people feel comfortable.
- I love my freckles, and I call them angel kisses.
- Flip flops are my shoe of choice, but I’ll rock a pair of heels for the right occasion.
- I wish I could do hair and makeup, but I leave that to the professionals.
- I pay homage to Lucille Ball with all my facial expressions.
- My favorite drinks are Coke Zero, Jack Daniels, Espolòn Tequila, Diet Dr Pepper, and of course water.
- I can eat ALL the pasta, pizza, and ice cream any time.
- I celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occasions with an impromptu dance party.
- Some of my favorite TV Shows are: POSE, Grey’s Anatomy, Schitt’s Creek, Supernatural, Queen Sugar, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Ru Paul’s Drag Race, Steven Universe, and more!
- I have too many movies to narrow down, but we’ll start with Crazy Rich Asians, Black Panther, Spider Man: Into the Spider-verse, and COCO are my more recent favs.
- My musical preference depends on the day or mood.
And finally I’ll end with a non Photoshopped boudoir photo of me, taken by me, and quote that is a mantra of mine.
“You are a very special person. There is only one like you in the whole world. There’s never been anyone exactly like you before, and there will never be again. Only you. And people can like you exactly as you are.” — Fred Rogers